When sports are practiced, especially those that are classified as risky activities, it is entirely probable that, sooner or later, we will suffer a sports accident or an injury as a result of the physical activity carried out. It is therefore of great importance to have a good insurance that covers these sports accidents and the possible risks arising from sports practice. For this, it is best to have the services of a good Insurance Advisory, since they will adapt to your needs and will find the Insurance that best suits the sport you practice and the risks that this entails.
Euroteide Insurance is an insurance consultancy located in the south of Tenerife who, with more than XNUMX years of experience, have advised and helped to find and take out the insurance that best suits your needs and requirements. From Life insurances, to Car insurance or Home insurances, to Sports accident insurance, Euroteide Insurance will put all its experience in the insurance sector to find the one that suits you best.
What is considered to be a sports accident?
The sports accidents refer to bodily injuries that occur as a result of playing sports in a way beyond the athlete's will, violent, external, fortuitous and sudden. Thus, a sports accident is any accident suffered by the insured as a result of sports practice. A good example of a sports accident is a fall, a collision with an object or with another athlete, among many others.
In any case, a separate case is sports injuries, which refer to chronic or pathological states derived from the practice of a sport. Thus, an example of a sports injury is a fibrillar tear, plantar fasciitis, a herniated disc, flat feet or tennis elbow, which are a consequence of the overload of the tissues due to the performance of a sport for long periods of time, becoming chronic injuries.
Sports insurance vs. common policies
Common policies cover the damages suffered by the insured as a result of a sudden and involuntary event, of an accident, while Sports Insurance covers the damages suffered by the insured as a result of a sports accident, that is, damages that are the consequence of the practice of a sport. Thus, Sports Insurance is much more specific, being especially suitable for regular athletes.
There are also differences regarding coverages of both types of insurance:
- Accident insurance covers death, financial repercussions, permanent and absolute disability, as well as healthcare costs or a daily pension for healthcare in the event of temporary disability.
- On the contrary, Sports Insurance has more specific coverage for athletes, such as rehabilitation expenses, prosthetics expenses or expenses for injuries to the mouth as a result of practicing sports.
Civil liability insurance for sports activities
In the performance of any sports activity, especially those that are risky, not only the athlete himself can be harmed, but also a third party. For example, when cycling, a pedestrian could be injured as a result of this sporting activity. Therefore it is essential to have civil liability insurance for sports activities, especially when it comes to a sports club.
Although the coverage of civil liability insurance will depend on the policy that has been contracted, it is normal that this type of insurance policies include the following basic coverages:
- Coverage of claims for material and personal damages: the injured third party may claim the corresponding compensation for material and personal damage suffered as a result of the sports practice carried out by the insured. However, the injured party must prove that the damage suffered is a consequence of the bad action or negligent attitude of the sports club or athlete.
- Coverage for liability to employees of the sports club: it can also happen that the damages are produced to the employees, volunteers or monitors of the sporting activity. In this case, the sports club will be responsible for compensating these damages.
- Coverage for negligence and errors: During the development of sports practice, it is possible that they act with negligence or by mistake, causing financial damage to a third person. In these cases, you must also respond, so that the injured party will be entitled to the corresponding compensation.
- Coverage for breach of the Data Protection Law.
- Coverage for civil liability of administrators and directors of the sports club: thanks to this coverage, the senior officials of the sports club will be protected against possible claims from a third person for damages suffered as a result of the club's management and administration.
Mandatory insurance for a sports club
The practice of sport is considered a risky activity from which certain damages can be derived that must be compensated. That is why it should not be surprising that the Law 10/1990 of Sports forces the contracting of certain Insurance for sports clubs and federated athletes, who must have taken out a mandatory Secure to cover health risks arising from the practice of the sport in question.
The Insurance that sports clubs are obliged to take out are the following:
- Mandatory sports insurance: this Insurance must include a series of minimum benefits that are included in Royal Decree 849/1993, and among which are medical, surgical and hospital care, pharmaceutical expenses, prostheses, rehabilitation expenses during a period of 18 months, death as a result of sports practice, dental expenses for mouth injuries, or compensation for anatomical losses, among some other coverages.
- Coverage for healthcare: in accordance with Law 10/1990 on Sports, sports clubs will be obliged to subscribe an Insurance that covers health risks arising from the sport practiced in question.
- Liability insurance: This is not mandatory, except to be able to access public subsidies given by municipalities, in which case sports clubs must contract them.
Without a doubt, Sports Insurance is the best option for practicing sports safely. Prevention is the best option to protect yourself and in any case, it is best to contact a good Insuranceadvisory, such is the case of Euroteide Insurance, who with more than 25 years of experience in the sector will know how to guide and advise you to find the sports insurance that best suits your needs.